Texas ERISA Audits
401(k) plans have become one of the most popular retirement plan options offered by Dallas employers. To attract new talent and retain existing employees, it’s important to offer these plans as part of a comprehensive benefits package. Many face a challenge when the plan grows and meets the minimum requirement under a Department of Labor (DOL) ERISA Audit. Others that have been through a plan audit may have issues with their provider meeting deadlines, poor communication, or staff issues. To avoid these challenges, it’s important to work with a provider that has experience auditing 401(k) and other plans. This allows them to deliver value beyond the traditional audit through insights and best practices.
ERISA Audit Experience
JLK Rosenberger provides plan audits to over 30 benefit plans, including 401(k), defined benefit plans, ESOP’s including limited and full scope audits. We work with plans that are single or multiple employers and have experience serving plans with an 11K filing requirement. The firm provides audits for benefit plans with asset sizes ranging from $5M to $65M and total participant count between 125 and 2000. This diverse level of experience allows our team to deliver an audit that extends beyond the basic audit checklist.
401(k) Plan Features
Analytics on plan features most commonly offered by employers, including;
- Employer Matching – According to a BLS Survey, in plans with an employer matching feature, 42% of respondents indicated an employer match of less than six percent while 48% have an employer match of 6% of earnings. The most common rate of the match was $.50 for each participant dollar contributed.
- Investment Options – The same survey also discovered that 86% of employees participating in 401(k) plans were given a choice in investment options. The number of options varied from 2 to 10 choices, and contribution splitting is allowed.
- Loans & Withdrawals – Another interesting finding was the number of plan participants that were eligible for a plan loan. According to the survey, 51% of participants were eligible for a plan loan. It was also discovered that 33% were able to take penalty-free, hardship withdrawals for qualifying life events.
- Distribution Options – It was also uncovered that 91% of 401(k) plans permit a lump sum payment of benefits upon retirement. Many are allowed to choose the payout methods including a lifetime annuity or payments over an agreed-upon period.
ERISA Audit Services
Our 401(k) plan audit services include;
- Comprehensive audit services, including testing participant account balances to verify
their accuracy and completeness.
- Form 5500 preparation and review.
- ERISA and DOL reporting requirements.
- Plan design options information and recommendations.
Essential Facts – Dallas, TX
Below is a list of essential facts about the area, including employment data and industry focus.
- Top Industries – The area’s top employers include companies in management occupations (9.38%), office & administrative support (12.4%), construction (10.5%), sales occupations (10.4%), and food preparation & service occupations (6.6%).
- Highest Paying – The highest paying industries include legal services ($125,000), computer and mathematical occupations ($73,000), computer engineering, and science occupations ($71,000) and management occupations ($70,000).
- Domestic Production & Consumption – The top three production and consumption areas include fuel oils, gasoline, and mixed freight.
Source: DataUsa – Dallas, Tx
Contact Our Dallas 401k Audit Team
JLK Rosenberger provides 401(k) plan and other benefit plan audits in Dallas, Fort Worth, and across Texas. If you are interested in learning how we can assist you, complete the form below and a team member will follow up with you promptly.